- Marketing Basics
- Marketing Plan
- How To Finance Your Company
- Product Management
- Channel Marketing
- Alliances & OEM
- Human Resources
- Books & Magazines
- White Papers & Articles
- Channel Software – PRM
- And The Survey Says?
- Webinars & Events
- Certified Channel Manager
Books & Magazines
Following are a few of the books that are part of my core library that I have read and HIGHLY recommend (essentials (some are classics) for each category).
- Ogilvy On Advertising. This is the core foundation for ROI based ads.
- Media Buying Academy (videos). If you buy, then get this training.
- A Good Hard Kick In The Ass – Basic Training for Entrepreneurs. Practical advise from the Product Manager for Lotus Notes and a VC (in the Finance Video).
- How To Finance A High-Tech Start-Up (DVD). FREE – so watch this as your foundation for funding.
- Venture Capital Handbook. Practical concepts you need to know if getting funding.
- Rites of Passage – Your Guide To 100k+ Jobs. The best recruiting books I’ve ever read–I built an entire seminar around it.
- In Search of Stupidity – 20 Years of High-Tech Marketing Disasters. Do NOT make the same mistakes – by Rick, on my board–very funny.
- Hard Drive – The Making of the Microsoft Empire. The definitive history of the world built by Microsoft–a classic.
- SaaS Industry Report. Over 580 pages containing the industry’s most invaluable data and survey results on SaaS. Covers operations, ratios, pricing and subscription modesl, re-subscription metrics, SaaS architecture, SaaS Security, reseller channels (affiliate, OEM, reseller), sales metrics, customer service–it is THE most comprehensive resource in the industry for SaaS.
- SaaS Entrepreneur: The Definitive Guide to Success in Your Cloud Application Business. This is by far, the most thorough, effective book on how to setup, manage and succeed with a SaaS application. It is written by the Editor in Chief of SoftLetter (the industry’s #1 source for industry information) and has the most recent and accurate metrics compiled from over 200 SaaS companies. A must have if you are in the SaaS market space.
- White Papers for Dummies. Excellent book about how to write and promote white papers. See Chanimal review.
- The 22 Immutable Laws of Marketing. Very practical tips on market promotions.
- The 22 Immutable Laws of Branding. My first book (of many) on branding–classic.
- Your Marketing Sucks. Yeah, most marketing (promotions) is not good–this explains why and how to fix it.
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. The all-time classic for working with people–get it, learn it, live by it.
- The One Minute Manager. Entertaining, classic and timeless.
- Putting The One Minute Manager To Work. Shows how to implement the principles.
- Leadership and The One Minute Manager. Introduces the PAR, PIP, etc. Classic.
- One Page Management. Wow – I wrote a white paper about this same concept. The defacto for managerial reports.
- The One Minute Manager Meets the Monkey. If it says One Minute Manager… just get it.
- Gung Ho. How to make your teams buy in on your vision–so everyone is pulling.
- One Minute for Myself. It’s all about balance.
- The One Minute Manager Gets Fit. Yep, FAT doesn’t help you succeed.
- Raving Fans. Same author as OMM – classic.
- Situational Leader. The original book that started the One Minute Manager series (classic)
- The Game of Work. This book changed my entire career in sales and applies else ware (all about the numbers)
- Dress For Success. Ultimate classic. Think “class” and you do well every time.
- The Product Marketing Manager’s Handbook for Software. This is “The” book for our industry–read it and you will be 10 years ahead.
- Crossing The Chasm. A classic explanation of the technology adoption cycle. I didn’t know this at one time and it cost me.
- Inside The Tornado. The second part of Crossing. Classic–finally, intelligent marketing that works.
- The Greatest Salesman In The World. The greatest classic ever–I almost memorized this entire book (read over 50 times! It is part of me)
- The Lacy Techniques. Helped increase my door ratio from 27 – 97%. The time in my life when I did direct sales.
- How To Master The Art of Selling – Tom Hopkins. Hard skills – closing, overcoming objections, essential for anyone who carries a bag.
- The One Minute Sales Person. Again, a OMM series–easy to read, quick to apply.
- Spin Selling. The classic model of solution selling (solve the problem and your product will sell).
- Secrets To Closing The Sale – Zig Ziglar. Another “hard” sales skills. Zig is the perfect trainer (I have read almost every book and wore out his tapes!
Chanimal #1 Rated Book
The Product Marketing Handbook for Software is the #1 rated book by Chanimal for anyone in hi-tech (software or hardware). If you only get one book from this entire list–this needs to be it!
“I highly recommend it!” Ted Finch, Chanimal
Newsletters & Resources (e-mail & print)
Below are several hi-tech industry newsletters and forums along with a brief description.
- The Levison Letter. Monthly hi-tech newsletter for direct mail, copy and ads.
- Softletter. An industry stable – around for over a decade.
- Software Market Solution. Click on “sign-up for e-mail” on the bottom of the page.
- SoftwareCEO. Weekly software business tips, sources, articles.
- ChannelAdvisor. Brand new publication.
- Web Premium Weekly Newsletter. Great if you manage any aspect of the web site–from WilsonWeb.
- Manager’s Minute. Hi-tech sales manager’s tips. Includes free report, “How to Hire Top SalesPeople.”
- Pragmatic Marketing. e-Mail and monthly publication for high-tech product management. Great!
- Product Mgmt Challenges. Periodic e -Mail newsletter. Type “subscribe” in subject line.
- Guerilla Marketing Weekly. A classic low-cost marketing tip each week.
- Media Buying Newsletter. Tips on media buying.
- SoftwareBizExchange. Site for Microsoft Business Partners to collaborate on marketing info.
Below are several publications for the hi-tech industry.
- CIO Magazine
- Computer Reseller
- Computer Retail
- Family PC
- Network Computing
- Network Magazine
- PC Gamer
- PC Magazine
- PC World
- Red Herring
- Smart Reseller
- Software Business
- Software Magazine
- Software Success
- Solutions Integrator
- VAR Business
- Windows NT